
So I started my "Junior High School Teaching" career yesterday.
The grade 8 girls at Hillcrest (the kid's school and the one where Sari works) are doing a "self-esteem class" (no I am not teaching that one). However, there was nothing for the boys to do (apparently they don't need self-esteem), so they were just going to be sent to study hall.
Then last week the principle came to Sara and said, "Do you think that Tim would do something with the boys?" Since there was no restriction on what I could do with them (other than "don't kill them") I suggested that maybe I could take them over to my garage (it is only 2 blocks away) and we could do "Man stuff"...... learn about how engines work..... tear apart an old lawn mower ..... do some electricity experiments ..... make circuits and learn how to solder .... learn to change oil in a vehicle...... you know - fun, useful stuff!!
Everyone thought that would be a great idea (including about 1/2 the girls who lobbied to get out of their class and come to mine..... sadly they were not allowed to choose and now they have to have "self-esteem" instead of greasy hands and dirty finger nails). :(
My first class was good. The boys are interested... and, if nothing else, they realize that no matter how boring it is, at least they aren't in study hall. :)
So I am enjoying this "being a teacher" thing. I can't wait to get my 2 months off in the summer too!!!!! (I am not sure the church will like that, but it is in the "Saskatchewan Teacher's Federation" contract right?????) :)
PS. Sari just informed me that the word "honorarium" is not a foreign word for "Big money". In fact, she is also doubtful as to my getting the summer off. On the good side though, she did say they may buy me a "Tim Horton's card" to say "thanks" - so that is close enough I guess. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment