Friday, January 29, 2010

There goes the environment (7 of 30)

So I am taking my class of Grade 8 boys to the radio station for a tour today (If you do not know why I have a class of Grade 8 boys to take anywhere - see the "Man Stuff" blog entry below. If you don't know why I would take them to tour a radio station.... you don't live in a small town) and the school has "transportation issues".


First I can't get a bus..... too expensive and my class outings were not budgeted for. Second, I can't throw them all in my truck or the van because in order to take other people's kids from school in your vehicle you have to have approximately enough insurance to finance a small middle east country (or at least the war that is taking place in the small middle east country).


So I got to borrow a vehicle from one of the teachers - she has the required $85789437658347869 in insurance - on her new "H3 Hummer"!!!!


Now I used to think that Hummers were stupid vehicles driven by environmentally unconscious people (mostly men) who were trying to prove how tough they were...... and basically I was right!!! Seriously, even with the really nice seat warmers (I mean really nice - they worked well - it is like 8 hours later and I can still feel the heat) you do feel tough in a hummer. In fact, you feel like running over everything... Other cars.... sidewalks.... 18 foot snow drifts - just because you can. The thing even sounds tough..... the engine has this really low growling sound - something like a cross between a diesel engine and a fighter jet. And it feels like a fighter jet.... there are nav screens all over the place - computer readouts on the dash that monitor everything (including the temp of the seat warmer) - it was just bizarre. And I am not sure why you need a nav screen because you don't even have to follow the roads - that is the whole point - IT IS A HUMMER!!!!


So - I am not sure how the radio tour went - I just threw the boys out and kept driving..... but I am sure it worked out well - I guess.


PS. My birthday is in May.... I like black! :)

2 comments:

Davis Family said...

My question is how does a teacher afford a hummer?

TKP said...

Her husband works in the oilfield, so......