Anytime I go to a concert I think, "I should buy a guitar. That looks like fun!"
(More accurately, I watch the drummer and think "I should buy a drum set"..... unfortunately I can't buy "rhythm" to go with it.... that sort of hinders guitar playing too).
I did try learning the guitar at one point. The guy who was teaching me wanted me to learn to play chords first so I did was sit and play "strum strum strum" then "brum brum brum"...... it was terribly tedious and boring. I WANTED TO PLAY A SONG RIGHT NOW!!!!!! And thus ended my "the next Justin Bieber" attempt.The same applies to curling.
Every year I think, "I am not going to get sucked into watching curling" and then I see one end and I am hooked again. Then I sit there and think "Look at them bounce that rock off the other one and tuck it in behind that guard..... how hard could that be?"
Very hard.... it turns out.
Sari's school had their Christmas party last night and we went curling. I know the theory of curling.... I get the strategy.... I have a broom and a slider..... I have played in a bunch of funspiels and in a commercial league here in town for an entire year...... I just don't have the shots. I can see them. I know what to do. I just can't do it.
Too heavy..... too light..... swept that one too much..... should have swept that one more...... aaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!
So the simply lesson of the day: If something looks terribly easy to do - whether it is singing, teaching, organizing things, public speaking or anything else - you likely are not seeing the thousands of hours it took to make it look that easy.
And that is unfair!!! I want to be good at it now!!!
Oh well. At least I won't have to worry about racing my Lamborghini down city streets and possibly being deported from the US either. :)
PS. You should have seen Sari play last night. She was the "take out" Queen. Playing on the other team she made a ton of shots that I thought that she could not make in 903689467876 years. In fact, she admitted that she could not make those shots in another 6894386483968 years - but she made them once and that is what counts (though we still stomped her team). :)
No comments:
Post a Comment