At times in my life I have felt sorry for myself that I have not been able to travel like many of my acquaintances. While it seems that everyone else is going on "hot holidays" or to Europe, my family is usually headed to some place like Bismarck, North Dakota (Side note; Bismarck is quite nice with a beautiful river and a nice zoo - you should check it out).
That is not to say that I have never been anywhere. Thanks to Sari, I went to Israel. I have been to a NASCAR race in Charlotte, North Carolina. I have seen almost everything between here and the West Coast of Canada and - even from childhood - I have spent a lot of time camping and loving it.
But I still - sometimes - feel like I am missing out.
Then Sari bought this book.......
It is all about cool things to do if you have 36 hours to spend in various places across North America (Strangely, they missed Estevan somehow). I think she bought the book partially because it looked interesting (and because it has pretty pictures in it), but as I flipped through it the other day I came to a conclusion.....
There are TONS of cool places to go and things to see.
And many of the coolest things were in places that I had never even heard of.
And that has made me feel better!
And here is the other thing: No matter how much I see or do, when I get to the end of my life there will still be a ton of cool stuff that I have missed out on. In fact, I will miss exponentially more than I will ever see - and that is ok.
Some of the stuff that I do get to do is actually super cool. When I tell people that Sara's aunt has a cabin in Montana and we often go there and hike from the top of her mountain to the stream below and back - they say "wow!"
Or when I tell some of my buddies that I am going to go on a week long motorcycle/tenting trip, they get a far off look in their eyes that says, "If only......".
So here is my conclusion: The trick is to do whatever it is that you are interested in.... and to be interested in whatever you are doing.
In that way, you will always be in the coolest place ever!
No comments:
Post a Comment