Tuesday, December 21, 2010

That is all folks (30 of 30)

Hey - that is it. 30 of 30..... we are done for now. I still have some good stories to tell like this one....

A guy came to the church building in Sept.... he needed some help. Said he had a job up by S'toon but no money to get there, etc. I never ever give money to people who come by (the church has a fund but I have no access to it - I have to call other guys, we have to meet - it is not wise to just hand out cash right?)..... but for some reason I liked and believed this guy - so I gave him $40 for gas. He promised he would come back and repay me. I told him that it did not matter, but he insisted that he would be back.

A week ago - four months after first hearing from him and never seeing him or my money again - he called saying he wanted to come over and talk to me. He had a proposition.... someone at a trucking company had given him 1000 pounds worth of batteries and if he could get them to Regina he could sell them for 28 cents/pound - or something. The problem: he needed gas money to get to Regina.

One of our elders happened to be in the building at the time and he overheard this so he said, "I will give you $20 to put in your tank - but here is the deal.... when you sell those batteries you have to pay Tim back his $40. Don't worry about my $20 but make sure you pay Tim back". The guy thanked us up and down and headed out.

Saturday I am sitting at home when the doorbell rings.... it is one of the ladies from church. She cleaning the building when this man came in looking for me. When he heard I was not there he gave her some money to give to me.... $60 (my original $40 and Ron's $20 on top of that).

I tell this story only because too often I think we get "taken" around here. People come to churches all the time with sob stories about how they need help and how they will pay us back or start coming to church or whatever - and then you never see them again. But here is one guy who kept his word - and even went one better by returning money that he did not have to give back. It was just what I needed - not the money - but the thought and the action. I liked this guy - he just needed a little help and instead of taking advantage of us he took some help and then said "thanks" by giving it back as he said he would.

So I am hoping I see him soon..... if you know Cliff from Midale - tell him to stop by and see me. I have $60 for him. :)

No comments: