Thursday, January 03, 2013

Everyone needs a favorite web site (Blogging day 5)

Well, it was back to school for the three girls today and back to work for me, so tonight's report is going to be somewhat short. I am sure I could tell you about the 9 hours I sat in my office writing lessons for this coming weekend, but I am not sure it is quite as exciting as it sounds.  Maybe it is best to just wait for the movie version to come out.

How uninteresting was my day?  Well, we got new photocopy paper today!  Two boxes!!!!  (That was the highlight).

Actually, that is not true.  Dennis stopped by (which is always fun) as did Larry, so it was nice to catch up with them..... and I am super excited about the lessons I wrote for the weekend (Maybe you should come hear them.... Sunday at 10 am.... all are welcome!).  It is just that the writing process does not yield much in terms of storytelling.

However, in the process of looking things up today, I did get to go to one of my favorite places on the web.....  The "Meriam-Webster Online" video section.  Here you will find an assortment of two minute videos, presented by the associate editors, covering a range of topics.  It is really interesting. 

Seriously.... click here to find out why adverbs do not have to end in "ly" (They are called "flat adverbs".... Controversial stuff, I know, but true), or here to find out why we pronounce things the way we do ("Spoken language is primary, not written language" - good point! Though I still hate it when people say "Li-berry")

Or - if you like animals - see this.

Honestly, stuff like this makes me smile. 

Go watch a few.

You feel smarter already, don't you?  :)


No comments: