Friday, January 04, 2013

Make $400 the easy way.... People are odd (Part 1)...... People are odd (Part 2) and a Question



Would you like to earn $400 for about 45 minutes work?  Have I got a money-making scheme for you.....

1.  Buy and drive a 16 year old truck that has lots of random problems (like a heater fan that quits at -22 and forces you to tear your dashboard apart in the parking lot of Sobey's while your children sit there in stunned horror wondering if you are actually trying to fix the thing or destroy it)

2.  Wait for something to go wrong (this will not take long)

3.  Diagnose the problem

4.  Spend a bunch of time on the Internet doing research to figure out how to fix said problem

5.  Ask a bunch of people whether you should attempt to fix it yourself or pay a garage to do it

6.  Ignore the overwhelming advice that says "Pay someone else"

7.  Buy the parts that you need

8.  Heat up your garage

9.  Fix the problem in under an hour (tops)

10. Calculate how much money you saved when you consider that garages charge $110 + per hour around here.  Add in their various other charges:  parts, taxes and the ubiquitous "Shop supplies" (whatever that means).

Within the last month I have fixed my windshield wipers (literally a 3 minute job.... for which the shop would have charged out the whole hour) and today I replaced the block heater.

I was a little concerned re. the heater because these things can be corroded in and hard to get out, but this one practically fell out.  Not hard at all.  In fact, start to finish, maybe 3 hours of total work (getting supplies, finding tools, etc) but actual work..... 40 minutes tops.

So I am thinking I just made myself about $400.  Maybe I should open a repair shop.

 And I barely got upset and hardly threw any tools this time, so I am getting better!  :)
__________
People are Odd (Part 1)

When I was done with the block heater project, I had about 8 liters of used anti-freeze to get rid of and since I did not want to kill every cat in the neighbourhood (anti-freeze is very sweet and very toxic.... I will tell you a story tomorrow about how I know that personally) I decided to recycle it.

Here, then, is my conversation with the dude at Canadian Tire.....

Me:  "Hey, I have about 8 liters of anti-freeze to recycle.  Do you guys take it?" (I knew they did, but I thought I would be considerate and ask rather than just walk in, throw it on the counter and leave)

Dude:  "No!  In fact I don't know anyone in Western Canada who recycles anti-freeze"

M:  "Really?  Because when I changed the radiator in my truck a year ago (another money saving day) you guys took it"

D:  "Oh we take it.  We just don't recycle it"

Now, does that seems odd to anyone else?

I mean, Buddy, I don't care what you do with the stuff..... you can take it and bathe in it if you like..... I just want to get rid of it.

Literal people!  Yeesh! (And "yes" I recognize the irony in me complaining about "literal people" - but this guy was just being stupid)  :)
___________
People are odd (Part 2) and a Question

So I am at the Co-op getting water the other day.  It  had just snowed and the parking lot was really messy making it very difficult to push the shopping cart to my truck.  In fact, I ended up having to drag it from the front because pushing it, while loaded with three full water jugs, was virtually impossible.

After unloading my cart and returning it to the cart corral thing, I look up and see this woman coming across the parking lot.  She is carrying this super cute little baby with one arm and trying to push her cart with her free hand.

So I ask, "Would you like some help with your cart?" and she immediately says, "No thanks!  I can do it!"

Here is the thing..... she needed the help!!!!  She just about killed herself trying to get to her car.   So what is going on here????

      A.  Was she just too proud to accept help? (A curse of our society these days.... we don't let people help us even when we need it)

      B.  Was she creeped out that some random guy talked to her and offered to help? (People are so worried about people having ulterior motives these days it is ridiculous.  For example, I think it is stupid that you can't say, "Hey you look really good today!" to someone without being afraid of getting slapped - either literally or with a harassment complaint)

      C.  People are just weird!

I will note that she was nice about it.  She was not snotty or anything.  Maybe just trying to be self-reliant?  I don't know.... please let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.

Related to that.... ladies.....  What would you have done if a stranger offered to help you?   Would you have accepted or said "No thank you"?   Please leave your answer in the comments section as well...... I am confused.

Ok - that is it for the day!  Have a good one!  :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, it would depend on how much I needed the help and whether the guy gave me the heebie jeebies. I've ignored my internal "creep detector" before and lived to regret it. Also, I like to be self reliant. I don't like to be perceived to be a helpless female. So in order to accept help from a stranger, especially a male, I would need to have a very good sense about him and really, really need the help.

Another factor that may be at play here is that we don't like to put others out or be in debt to others. I find myself refusing help at times (regardless of gender) because I don't want to be a drain on someone else or owe them anything. That is something I'm learning to overcome this year as Eric is away and I need help a lot more often.

- Erica

Loreen said...

I sort of agree with Erica regarding the part about letting ourselves be helped. It's a bit of a pride thing - if I can't even do this then what good am I really? Maybe she was scared you were going to steal her groceries? For better or for worse we do need our "creep detectors" on high alert more often these days. Maybe you should have offered to carry the baby instead. Just kidding of course - talk about really freaking out a mother.

Loreen

Laurie said...

When I lived in Lloydminster, I had a cart full of groceries (and maybe a kid in tow too) A man (a little shady looking of a man) came up and asked if he could help me...... I was being polite and said ok.....giving him the benefit of the doubt. BUT, I really was wondering...... well, after he helps me unload he asked for money!

That's just my little story. I would probably take help.....but not necessarily want it just because of wondering what the motives are! :)

Now you are not the shady guy I described..... so not sure what this lady was thinking LOL BUT, don't take it personally!! :)

Davis Family said...

Oh Tim, I would happily slap you if you offered to help me in a parking lot. That was the question wasn't it? Oh, ok...

Anonymous said...

I would have accepted help in that situation! I might even have offered to pay him. Ellen

marian said...

Buy your water at C T save yourself a couple of dollars. Obviously you do go there. as for helping others No Clue any woman who can carry a babe and push a full grocery cart could surely do a number on you if needed.