Thursday, March 22, 2018

My Big Break! (Blog 21 of 30)

This may not be the proper venue to announce this, but the truth is going to come out sooner or later, so I may as well say it now...........

I think I may be done preaching!

You read it right!

After almost 30 years of waiting, I have been called up to the big time!!!!

I got asked to play in the "Estevan Strippers" Hockey Tournament!

Let me clarify......

There is a recreation hockey team here called "The Strippers" (We are a coal town.... the way the coal is removed is called "Strip mining"...... hence the hockey team name) and they hold a tournament every year that brings in teams from across the prairies.  When I started playing hockey here, everyone I knew played in that tourney.

Except me!

So I waited for someone to ask me..... and I waited....... and waited!!!!!!    When people asked why I wasn't playing in the tournament, I would tell them (through tears) that I was holding out for a better contract offer...... but I wasn't fooling anyone!!!!

Oh...... I had a shot!!!  In the spring of 1992, a guy with the Saskpower team asked if I wanted to travel to Torquay (A ROAD GAME) and play with them, because they were short that night.   I went and I scored 2 goals and assisted on another.  Two days after that game, buddy called me back and offered me a spot on that team...... a chance to make a name for myself....... but I told him, "No thanks!  I don't think I have the time!"

Don't have the time.............    NOW ALL I HAVE IS TIME!!!!!!!!!! 

I thought my hockey career was over!!   I thought that the dream was done (I am just slightly past prime drafting age, ya know?)......   and then the phone rang today...... and I was reminded that dreams do come true!!!!!   (Stay in school kids!!!  Don't do drugs!!!!)

And the best part is that I convinced my best buddy, Shady Shane, to play on the team with me.  That way, when they do the movie of our lives, they can play the hockey scenes in slow motion with classical music in the background to show how hard we worked to get this big break together (It will be a real tear jerker I am sure!!)

So, if I am not mistaken, this is a picture from last year's tournament.......


Oops..... wait....... I am wrong....... here is the real picture........


Hmmm - that is not nearly as impressive.  Maybe this thing is not as lucrative as I thought it was.  Let me check again.......

- They will pay my entrance fee
- I get all the free coke I can drink
- "Thanks so much for supporting our team and the charity it represents!!!"

CHARITY!!!??????    That does not sound very lucrative!!!!!   D'oh!!!!!

Ummmmm..... ok....... well.......  ah.........   have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE preaching!!!!   Never wanted to do anything else!!!!!    Ha ha........ d'oh!!!!!

See you Sunday!!   :)

No comments: