Everyone wants to know that their life has counted for something and that their presence made a difference!
Last week, I had a moment that confirmed that I had done something. I was not present when this moment took place, but hearing about it brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face none-the-less."What is the name of my french toast?"
That one question, eight little words, asked by a little child to a very bewildered volunteer at Sara's breakfast program, told me that I had not passed through this world in vain!
Several years ago, when I started helping at the breakfast program, I was given the job of not only toasting but serving the french toast. Naturally, I started naming the french toast as I served it to the kids...... "This one's name is Bobby! You will like him. He is very nice!"
At first, the kids just stared at me! Or worse, they would try to look away and not make eye contact with me (sort of like you would do if you were walking down a back alley at night and you came upon someone who was shouting at no one.... "Just keep walking! Don't look back!!!!!")
But like all heroes, I persevered!!!! I was not discouraged!!! I kept naming their french toast whether they wanted me to or not....... that is until Sara told me that I could not serve the french toast anymore! :(
But then it happened!!! Last week, some kid broke the silence and asked a nice man, who had absolutely no idea what was going on..... "What is the name of my french toast?" Right then and there, I knew that - despite the odds - I had won!!!!! Justice prevailed!!! Evil was defeated and good was advanced!!! (Ok - maybe that last bit is a little overstated - but you get the idea!)
There is, however, one possible downside to this story: When our girls were little, Sara used to buy "baby carrots" and every time one of our kids was about to eat one, I would say (in a really high baby-ish voice).... "Don't eat me!!!!! I am just a baby!!!!!"
Recently, like in the last two years, the girls confessed that they always felt bad for the baby carrots and that it was all the could do to choke them down after that. In fact, now they cannot see a baby carrot without thinking about them pleading for their lives.
The good news is that therapy is covered under Sara's health benefits, so I am sure they will be fine..... eventually!
The point is: I made an impression!!! I left a mark on my kids and now on the french toast kids!!!!
Granted, this is not Martin Luther King Jr or Gandhi type stuff...... but it is big in its own small way.
I wonder where they are going to put my statue????
If you have any good ideas, write to Sara!
I want to be surprised!!!!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment