Thursday, March 31, 2011

Good memories (20 of 30)

One of my favorite stories from our dating days, comes from a time when Sari and I were not even dating at all.

Sari had been dating this guy, but they broke up. She had been planning to take said boyfriend of hers to see "The Nylons" at the Center of the Arts in Regina, but when they broke up she asked me if I wanted to go with her instead (We were buddies - why not right?).

In the meantime, before the concert date, Sari and her ex-boyfriend became "un-ex-boyfriend and girlfriend" again. When I heard that they were back together, I went to her and offered her ticket back... after all - she bought it planning to go with the "ex-non-ex-boyfriend" in the first place right? To my surprise, and I am sure to his surprise, she said, "No! I said I would take you and you and I are going".

The night of the concert, the car that we were going to take died. We needed a vehicle fast and could not think of anyone who would loan us one on such short notice. Then Sari said, "I know where I can get a car". She found her boyfriend and we had a ride.

So I went to a Nylons concert with another guy's girl, on his ticket AND I drove his car eight hours to get there and back! Nice, huh? :)

But that night was great! I had never been to the Center of the Arts. I had never been to a real concert. I had never gone to a concert with another guys girlfriend, in his car, on his ticket either.

As we drove home, we looked at the stars... we listened to the tapes we bought... we talked and talked... eventually Sari fell asleep against me.... and so the music of the Nylons has always been special to us.

This week, while sick at home, I found a whole bunch of old Nylons concert footage online. There used to be nothing but they have just re-released all their songs and videos under a new label.... so Sari and I spent part of tonight watching footage from the same tour we went to... we recognized their costumes... the sets... the choreography... it was really cool.

It was just like being the Center of the Arts in 1990 again... except that, at the end of the night this time, there was no other guy waiting for his keys.... and his girl. :)

No comments: