So we were up until almost 2:30 am at the "Church youth sleepover" at the church buildingt. All the guys slept on the floor in the foyer. Now "on the floor" is not an exaggeration or shorthand for "I got out my 5 inch thick air mattress and put it on the floor"... I mean we put our sleeping bags on the floor and that is where we slept (Sari is going to want me, at this point, to say "I told him to take an air mattress" - and that is true - I chose not to, so it is my own fault right?)
"Slept" is an exaggeration though. Between people snoring, kids getting up at 3 am to watch teenagers yelling and wandering around the street ("Get away from that window!! If they know you are in here trying to sleep, we will never get rid of them") and then several boys whispering back and forth all night (oh and did I mention the hard floor?)..... it was a long/short night (if you know what I mean). Actually, given all of that, I think I had a good sleep! It could have been much worse anyway.
But the kids had fun and that is the main thing. And every time I walk across that spot in the church building from now on I will remember how nice it is to sleep in a bed. :)
____
Here is a serious question: What do you do when you are in a store and you see someone treating a kid badly? Or "What should a person do?" I saw this Grandma just beaking at a little girl all around the store.... beak.... beak.... beak. Now the kid was being a brat, but so was the Grandma! Seriously I just wanted to walk up to her and punch her in the head and then ask "How do you like someone picking on you????" I followed them around the store for a while.... and I kept staring at her. When she noticed me she seemed to change her actions a bit - but we all know it won't stop.
I was really really tempted to go yell at her - or punch her (did I mention that).... but I was so mad I decided not to do anything (for fear of it escalating).... then I was mad for not doing anything. Maybe I should have asked if she was having a bad day and needed some help??? Reported her to a store person (but what are they going to do????) Honestly, I don't know what the protocol is here.... someone help me.
It made me feel very sad for little kids who have to grow up like that..... it isn't right!
____
T-shirt of the day (this seems to fit the part above).....
Answer to the "American top 40"question (a few posts ago) tomorrow - so if you want to look smart you better figure out the answer tonight.
That is it for me..... I will call you for the next youth group "lock-in".... bring a rock to sleep on - it may be more comfortable that the options last night :)
1 comment:
Well I finally confronted the lady who has been using my dogs to train her dog not to bark at other dogs who are barking at them while they are out on theoir walk... seriously for months now this woman has been stopping right in front of our driveway for at least two or three minutes making her dog sit and star straight ahead while my dogs yap at him... how is this fair to my dogs, I ask??? Granted not a grandmother and child but sort of the same story. Anyway I finally firmly asked her to stop treating my drive way as a training ground... I doubt her behavior will change either. some people just don't get it.
As to what to do when kids are mistreated, I think the best you can do is go out of your way to affirm all children with smiles and winks and simple questions. Let them know that someone notices them in a positive light... it can go a long way to take the sting out of the mistreatment...
My two (or three) cents for tonight
Susanna
PS you should have taken an air mattress :)
Post a Comment