Working moms have a bad deal. Take Sara for instance. She works all day like I do, but then she comes home and does all the cooking and a majority of the other stuff that keeps our house going.
Now, it is not like I don't help. I do dishes and I take the garbage and the recycling out.
And it is not like I am even trying to be unhelpful. For example, I don't mind doing laundry. Its just that I never notice the fact that laundry basket is overflowing with dirty clothes. In fact, I only usually start to notice when I run out of socks or something and by then Sara is all over it.
I feel bad that she is so much more in tune than I am. As I said,....it is a bad deal.
So when I heard that she was scheduled to have after school meetings almost every Tuesday this coming school year, I thought, "Here is my chance to be helpful! I will make supper every Tuesday" (Actually, I think I was TOLD that I would be making supper every Tuesday...... but in my defense, I agreed that it was a good idea - reluctantly).
So here we are after our first Tuesday meetingsupper assignment and I gotta say...... I am beat!!! I really get what Sara is talking about with this "Running the house is like another full-time job" stuff. It is really time consuming.
Take tonight for example..... I didn't actually cook..... but my good buddy, Nathan, is in the same boat that I am because Melanie works with Sara and is going to the same meetings. He also received the "suggestion" that he ought to cook on Tuesdays as well, so - being the smart man that he is - he suggested that we ought to all go out for supper together.
So he and I texted back and forth....... and we debated where we ought to go..... we thought about what time would work best...... and then we decided ..... we ought to let the girls decide all of this because we were going to get shot down anyway.
But I mean we texted a lot!!! My eyes are sore from looking at the screen. My head hurts from trying to remember all the restaurants in town. I can't even tell you what it was like trying to calculate how much time Sari would need to do her hair before supper!!
She is right...... looking after everything is tough!!!!
Good thing I don't have to look after supper again till next Tuesday! :)
______________
On a serious note - this is the start of a new weekly tradition...... the "Eat your way around Estevan" tour. It should be a lot of fun.... especially since I don't have to cook!
No comments:
Post a Comment