Friday, September 23, 2016

"Start the Car!!!!" (Blog 13 of 30)

Generally speaking, I HATE garage sales.  Specifically speaking, I hate them for two reasons:

(a) Most of the stuff that people haul out to sell on their front lawn should have been dragged (in the garbage bin) another 20 feet to the curb.

(b) I feel badly when I walk through said pile of junk and don't buy anything.  I know that the poor seller is standing there with a calm and pleasant smile on his face but inside he is thinking "Oh PLEASE buy some of this trash!!!!  I don't want to have to move it again!!!  PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE!!!!!"  Often I feel so bad for the poor slob that I end up buying something that I don't need....... or I just avoid eye contact for as long as I can and then run away like a scared cat.  Neither of which makes me feel very good.

On the other hand, I LOVE garage sales because....

(a) Everything is dirt cheap!  It is almost like most of the junk has no value at all!!! And.....

(b) Every once in a while, you find a gem.  Just like I did today.

More than 20 years ago, just after I moved to Estevan, I bought a brand new set of golf clubs from Woolco in the mall (The name Woolco should tell you how long ago that was).  Over the years, I have got a lot of use out of them.  Back when I was still single, my buddy Ian and I played almost every day.

In fact, I played so much that I kept getting better and better until I kinda peaked.  At that point, I either had to (a) golf a lot more to get marginally better, (b) keep playing and being frustrated that I was getting no better or (c) quit.

Since I did not have the time to play more and I had tons of other, cheaper, ways to become frustrated.... I quit.

Since then I have only played a couple of times a year at the most.

Then, last summer, I was out with my buddy Shady Shane and I almost decapitated him with my 4 iron.  The head of the club just went flying off.  Since that time, I have continued to use to the club (Don't worry thought - Shady is tough - if he gets hit in the back of the head with the club he will just shake it off.....probably!  In any case, it is flying away from me so.......) but I have been looking for a replacement 4 iron.

After a year of searching, today I found this.......


A nice bag and 9 left-handed clubs (which are hard to find) including a very nice feeling 4 iron for.......  $5

FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!   NINE CLUBS!!!!!   AND A BAG!!!!!!

Most new clubs are in the $50 - 75 range and even used clubs are usually $15 -25 each.

FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!

Garage sales!  Just goes to show that, once in a while, one man's junk is another man's treasure!  :)

No comments: