Sunday, March 07, 2010

In the little things (10 of 30)

Every couple of months or so, it is our church's turn to go to one of the nursing homes to sing. Today was the day, so I announced it in the morning, invited others to come, sing and visit with the residents and left it at that knowing a few people would come to help.

When the time came, Sari, the girls, me and about 8 others joined with about 15 of the residents in the common room. It was nice, but not that much different than any other time that we have gone there. I visited with a few of the people and was heading toward the door when this one lady caught my eye.

"Are you related to Wilma Pippus?" she asked. I stopped, sat down and told her that I was but that I was not exactly sure how. She talked about Wilma for a moment and then said, "I am so glad that you folks did not stand us up today. I so looked forward to the churches coming and doing services for us. I can't get to the United Church where I used to go anymore, so this is the only church I get. Sometimes we gather in here waiting and then no one comes, so I am just so glad that you folks were here today."

Now I have to admit that I have not always looked forward to singing at the lodge. It is Sunday afternoon - I have had a busy morning already - it seems a little useless and like a waste of time sometimes..... and then I met this lady today.

So I asked her name - Olive Murphy - I recognize the name - Bob Goud has mentioned her to me, so I tell her that I know Bob and off she goes telling stories. She is probably 90+ but sharp as a tack. She remembered people - places - names of our church members and even that I write a newspaper article.

Sari and the girls were waiting in the van, so I eventually had to go - but as I left I thought about my Grandma sitting in a nursing home in Moose Jaw and how much she enjoys it when someone comes to visit, to sing or to do a church service in her place - and I smiled.

I was blessed to visit with Olive today - and I will make sure I find her and say "hi" the next time I am there.

Earlier in the day, in the Bible class, we were discussing the fact that God often honored and blessed those who did little things - seemingly unimportant things - things that did not make the news but made a difference to one other person. Today I got to experience that - and not just talk about it. I may have given a 1/2 hour of my time - but I received a lot more in return.

No comments: