I have spent most of the evening reading a book called "Exploring New York" (Sari got several NY city books from the library) and I am ready to go.... I could take a test right now.... drop me in there and I could find my way around and tell you a few things about the place (Ok - so maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration but I did spend a lot of time reading about and locating things on the map - seeing where they were relative to one another - trying to spot landmarks on photos, etc). Let's go! The only thing stopping us now is like ..... several thousand dollars!
Anyway - your fact for the day.... anyone who has been there likely knows this but......
All my life I have heard people say (when things are busy), "It is like Grand Central Station in here" - but that is wrong! Grand Central Station does not exist.
As the book says, "Many people, including lifelong New Yorkers, often erroneously refer to 'Grand Central Terminal' as 'Grand Central Station'. In fact, as trains can only begin or end their journeys there, 'terminal' is the correct word to use" (And its proper name).
The article goes on to point out that the only proper use of the term would be if you were referring to the post office that is located near-by.... it is actually called "Grand Central Station" - but is is no where near as busy as Grand Central Terminal - and you would have a hard time catching a ride home from there (Unless you stuffed yourself in a box and mailed yourself home - which would be a whole different topic and discussion)
So there!
No comments:
Post a Comment