Monday, March 15, 2010

Seriously: The TV Edition (18 of 30)

Have you seen the new Boston Pizza commercial? The one where a lady is sitting at a table like a cop in an interrogation room and a man comes in and says, "How long you been here?"

"A couple of hours" she responds.

"Why don't you go get a coffee" he says. "I will take over". Then he says, "So you are a tough guy hey? Look Ricky - just eat your dinner and you are free man".

The camera pans to his approximately 5 year old kid who is sitting at the end of the table who then reaches up for the plate... and dramatically pushed it away.

Next shot - they are sitting in Boston Pizza laughing, eating and having a great time and the voice over dude come says, "When they won't eat at your table - bring them to ours"

ARE ---- YOU----- KIDDING ----- ME????????

This is the stupidest commercial in the history of television!!!! What on earth sort of logic is that???? Your kid is a total brat that has just DEFIED his mom for a "couple of hours" and you are such and incapable boob that you can't get him to eat....... so you reward him by taking him out for pizza??????

I think the voice over guy should have said, "When they won't eat at your table....... kick their snotty little behinds (I know that is a mixed metaphor there - but I am ranting so it is ok) up the stairs to their rooms and do not let them come down until they are BEGGING to eat those green beans (or whatever it was on his plate)!!!!!"

Or maybe he should have said, "If he won't eat at your table...... take him to the window and show him the Boston Pizza and the playground and the bike that he will not see until he is 36 years old because there is no way that pulling a stunt like that is a going to get him anywhere near what he wants for a long long time!!!!!!!"

I thought people were stupid - but not that stupid!!!!! Maybe I was giving them too much credit!

I may have to boycott Boston Pizza now.

(Please note: No real children were harmed in the making of this rant...... and since I live in a small town where there are not that many restaurants - and because my life is not ruled by TV commercials - I will not likely actually boycott Boston Pizza - though I may give the place a snooty look as I drive by next time.)

(Please note - part 2: The above is the content of my "Father of the year" speech. That is not to say that I have won "Father of the year" - but I think this little rant just may push me over the top. Vote for Pedro! I mean - Tim......... that was a little "Napoleon Dynamite" reference for y'all........ it is post Oscar week after all right?)

2 comments:

Jen Mooney said...

We had the same reaction to that commercial, as in "ARE YOU KIDDING ME". What is the world coming to! Oh and we promise to never do that. Take our kids to a restaurant EVER I mean. :)

Davis Family said...

My thought when I saw that commercial is that most kids that wont eat at home, don't eat at restaurants either. It is just so much more embarassing for the parents at a restaurant!
Having said that I did think the ad was cute.