Thursday, March 11, 2010

Real or Fake? (14 of 30)

So I was reading about the "Apollo" space missions tonight (a holdover from watching "Apollo 13") and I found something interesting. NASA has a thing that they call the "Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter" (LRO for short). It was launched in June of 2009 and it is currently orbiting about 50 kms above the moon - creating a 3D map of its surface in preparation for a return there with a manned space flight (read more here)


The really interesting thing - they claim to have pictures of the bases of the Apollo lunar landers (of course it is only the base b/c the rest of the lander was used to get back to the command module that was oribiting overhead) sitting on the surface of the moon. They even claim that you can see the paths the astronauts left as they walked back and forth.


There are too many to post - so click here to have a look. And here for a close-up of Apollo 11's landing site


So - the question is, "What do you think?" Are these pictures proof that men landed on the moon, or are they fakes (as would be the missions themselves)?


Another question: Why (if we have been there once) is it taking so long to get ready to go back (mapping the surface, etc) as if we have never been there and have no experience? Do you buy NASA's claim that they have been so focused on the shuttle and "low earth orbit" stuff that they need to gear up to go to the moon again?


Did they go or not? Real pictures or fake? Do you even care one little bit (I obviously do)???


Let me know. Either way, the LRO site at NASA may be interesting to bookmark and keep track of.

3 comments:

Justin Mooney said...

Hey Timberly,

Well, for the record, I don't think they really went to the moon. I think it's all a sham. But they did an interesting show on Mythbusters about it. They debunked some of the common myths such as the flag waving and boot print in the dirt, etc. But there are just too many inconsistencies for them to really have gone.

In fact, I am sure the government is reading this now and is not tapping my phone.

I got to run before they track this comment.

I was never here :)

Justin

Lenny said...

As I was reading this I was thinking "only a moron (sorry Justin) would believe they did really go as Mythbuster busted the most popular myths about this"! If you can't believe Mythbusters who can you believe?

TKP said...

But why is it taking so long to get back there? Why hasn't Russia, China or India been there?

Is it b/c they can't?????

People say that NASA used their resources to do other things (the shuttle - Space station) and the other countries gave up when the States did it first.... but why is everyone sending probes there, and cameras and whatever???? If it has been done - why are India, China and Russia still sending anything there?