Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Something to fill my blogging quota for the day (4 of 30)

Two things.....

1. I heard on the news today that 3 out of 4 Canadians do not know the FIRST LINE of "O Canada". ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? Just by asking the question, "Do you know the first line of 'Oh Canada'?" you have given them the first line.... IT IS "O CANADA"!!!!!

If you want to be less technical and consider the first whole phrase the first line... then by asking, "Do you know the first line of 'O Canada'?" you have given them more than a 1/4 of it... 2 words out of the first 7.

(Someone just checked that fact by singing the first line of "O Canada" and counting the words, right? I heard you - sign your name in the comments section if it was you - thanks!)

And where are they finding these people.... 3 out of 4 - come on.... have you never been to a hockey game?????? What on earth???? I have to believe that stat is wrong..... otherwise I live in a nation of idiots!


2. On a lighter note...... best joke from "Just for laughs" tonight......

"So some buddies and I went to New York last month. It was great... but we were always scared about being mugged, so we came up with a plan. Anytime we got scared that someone was going to mug us..... we just started mugging each other! (Imagine a Fake fight here - then he says to the imaginary attacker) Get lost - this one is taken!" :)

5 comments:

Jen Mooney said...

We saw the same news show. And we said the same thing. They just made up that number. I can't believe for a second that that many people don't know the first bit of the song.

TKP said...

I think they either made up the stat... or they interviewed only the drunk partiers at the Olympics (people who could barely remember where they lived much less the words to the anthem.... or they did their own interview - like asked a mom and her three kids under the age of 6 ("Three out of four people we talked to could not tell us the first line of O Canada").... something it wrong with that stat.

Though it is true that they talked to lots of people in Vancouver that did not know the words yet were wearing Canadian flags etc... so I don't know. And that the lyrics to O Canada hit the top 10 searches on Yahoo.com (or some search engine) is not a good sign either.

But I am glad you heard it too b/c I thought I must have misunderstood - sadly not.

Crystal Quilliams said...

I think they probably interview several immigrants. Remember who the high racial population in Vancouver is and the high population in Banff is... I could see them not knowing or possibly not even caring! Just saying.... we saw the report too and were shocked until we started to think about it more. That's my explanation at least.

KTPippus said...

Just wondered if you noticed that you're going to be blogging a little longer than originally planned... This post, along with your last, are both #4 of 30. Or was that maybe another one of your tests for us, your loyal readers, only this time an unspoken challenge? :-) Thanks for the random thoughts you impart on a daily basis!

Lenny said...

Statics show that 1 in 4 statistic quoted on the news are made up time fills, mostly written by new immigrants :-)