Sunday, October 04, 2015

Blog 13: Going Old-school

"It has been about 4 years..... I should back-up the files on the church computer" I said to myself last week.

I even went so far as to ask Sara if she had an extra flash drive that I could use.  She said that she would look for one and that is where it ended. 

"I will do it on Tuesday" (the next time I am in my office), I thought.

Then.... last night..... Saturday night..... at about midnight..... as I was about to check over all my stuff for Sunday morning (a ritual that I have.... look everything over just before going to bed so you remember it better in the morning)...... I turned on the computer and ....... SNAP!!!!!!....... a terrible sound from deep inside the laptop and then it just went dead.  Like, not partially unusable, but rather completely unresponsive...... like "boat anchor" unresponsive...... no hard drive spinning ...... nothing on the screen..... dead!

Oddly, mashing all the buttons.... turning it off and on a few times.... and taking the battery out did nothing to help the situation.

So with no time to re-do everything, I had to (gasp!)...... preach and teach without Powerpoint!!!!!!

Not only that, but I had to teach Bible class without any notes (They were done, just not printed and therefore trapped in the computer).

In other words, I had to go all Charles Spurgeon on it (For those who don't know, Spurgeon was a preacher in England in the 1800s...... he didn't use Powerpoint either).

The moral of the story is two-fold........

1. You can still do church without Powerpoint.  It is entirely possible.

2.  When you think "I ought to.......... (fill in the blank)" listen to that voice.  It may save you some headaches down the road.

Now..... back-up your computer files before you forget and regret it (like me!). 

No comments: