It is easy to forget to see your blessings, so tonight I am thankful for.....
Ok..... two things.....
1. No that is not my garage (though it would be nice).
2. I know that I should be writing about my wife or my kids or the fact that I live in a free country or the miracle of how they get the caramel in the Caramilk bar (how do they do that anyway??? However that happens, it is super yummy!)...... but, tonight, I am thankful for my garage.
I used to lay in the snow in the middle of the winter so that I could change oil in our vehicles.
I used to fix lawnmowers while sitting in the grass in the backyard (I spent more time looking through the grass for the parts that I dropped than I did working on the mower).
And then - about 8 years ago - Sari gave me a garage door opener for Christmas..... so we had to build a garage to put it in.
Today it was rainy, cold and miserable outside. I came home, changed my clothes, went out to the garage, cranked the radio and spent a couple of happy hours changing the brakes on our SUV. Even the fact that I have floor jacks and tools and all that other stuff is really nice because I used to just dream about that stuff.
Now, someone will read this and say, "Well, that was sort of stupid" and if you think that this is really an "Ode to my garage" then it is a little dumb.
But it isn't!
Rather it is a reminder to see the things that you take for granted every day. If your 21 year old self could time travel and see where you are today - for most of us - he or she would be really surprised.
The trick is to remember that you have some blessing that are worth noticing and being happy about. It is too easy to complain about what you do not have.
Have a great week! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment