For me, Sunday night is the most mentally relaxing time of the week. Why? Because I am as far away from having to speak to a group as I can be this week. I have almost seven full days before I have to have come up with hours of things to say.
Don't get me wrong! I love what I do (Especially after a good day like today). It is just that it is a taxing process to come up four or more lessons each and every week. Well.... it is a process to come up with four "decent" and "interesting" lessons anyway. I could just get up and shoot from the hip and fill the time, but it if is going to be thought out, useful and interesting then it is going to take some work.
That is why I like watching comedians. Sara and I have seen Jerry Seinfeld in person and he was great! We have seen Brent Butt (from "Corner Gas") a couple of times. I have watched countless "Just for Laughs" TV shows and other comedy specials because I am impressed with what they do. In fact, I have a Seinfeld documentary that shows him working on a new act..... and it takes forever! He will work on one 20 second joke for weeks trying to get just the right word, the right timing and the right approach. They make it look easy and fun, but there is a ton of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that no one ever sees or knows. In fact, it if looks easy, then you know that they have worked hard.
Along that line, I want to recommend one of my favorite radio shows: "The Debaters". It is basically a couple of comedians making jokes regarding a given topic. If you need a laugh (and have about a half hour), click here and check it out (Usually they are very clean but I have heard them all, so as always it is "Enter at your own risk!")
Have a great week!

No comments:
Post a Comment