Thursday, October 29, 2015

Blog 6: Ooops.... Beware of Bulk Barn.... Some Editor's Notes

The Ooops:  In yesterday's blog I was complaining about a telemarketer that did not seem to know the meaning of "Last chance".... then one of our friends pointed out that I was just as incompetent because I had two "Blog 4"s in a row.

I think that made the blog even more funny!!!  :)
________
The Guest:  I have been bugging other members of our family to write or post pictures or something on here..... so here is the eldest daughter proving that her Dad is not the only one who does silly things that ought not to be shared.... but are anyway.  :)
....................
The M&M Mistake
I have always liked mini m&ms more than regular m&ms. The mini ones have just the right amount of chocolatey flavour that makes your mouth water and forces you to drain the entire tube of mini m&ms into your mouth in less than three minutes flat. The only problem is that the mini ones are a huge rip off in comparison to regular sized m&ms. You pay more for less chocolate and you are left with a plastic tube that will never biodegrade in a million years.
So you can imagine my excitement this evening when I was wandering the aisles of Bulk Barn when I found an entire barrel of mini m&ms! I thought it would be perfect, buy in bulk and get more bang for my buck. In my excitement I may have gotten a little carried away as I dumped three heaping scoops into my plastic bag thinking I could fill an empty container I had at home. But I wanted to be sure not to only fill the container halfway, so using my best estimating skills I added an extra half scoop just for good measure.

Here’s the thing about buying in bulk, in order to actually get a deal one really should pay attention to how much you are being charged per 100 grams. But even more importantly I would highly recommend actually weighing your bag before heading to the till.
I carried my bulging bag up to the till and was thinking about how wise I was being, getting way more m&ms for my money, saving the environment, and getting a ton of m&ms without looking like I had an excessive problem. That was until the cashier rang me through and asked,
“Baking a cookies this weekend?”
I was tempted to tell her that was my plan and hide the fact that I was going to gorge myself on m&ms but instead I took the moral high ground and told her that I liked to buy them in bulk so I didn’t create so much plastic waste. If I was going to stand by my m&m addiction at least I could make it look like I was an upstanding citizen.
“That’ll be $22.31”
WHAT?!?!?! EXCUSE ME?!?!?! HOW MUCH?!?!?!?! Time seemed to stand still for a moment as the cashier turned and looked at me expectantly waiting for me to choose my payment method. My university student on a fixed income brain kicked into overdrive! That’s four trips to Starbucks! That could buy me an entire novel or pay for a whole movie!!
Now a normal, mature adult would take charge of the situation, realize that is a ludicrous amount to be spending on m&ms and go dump half of the bag back in the barrel. But who ever said anything about me being a mature or even normal person? And this whole adult thing is really still a new concept. So what did I do……?
Panic paid and bolted.
So now I have enough m&ms to last me until I’ve graduated from university. What did this whole experience teach me? Did it teach me to be assertive? Did it teach me to compare rates between items before purchasing them? Did it teach me self-control? Did it show me I have a problem??

No, what I learned tonight is that buying in bulk is a scam!!!! Don’t do it!!! This public service announcement brought to you by Katelyn Pippus!
________________
I told her that she should have just looked at the clerk and said, "WHAT??? $22 of M and Ms is nothing!  That is how we roll in Estevan!"... all "Straight Outta Compton" like.

Or she freaked out...... "YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!! DON'T JUDGE ME!!!  I GOTS A PROBLEM!!!!" - drop the bag - run out crying without paying (what are they gonna do - chase you down???)

Or she could have tried taking them back.... "Ummm ya.... I thought these would work but they aren't the right size...... they are a little snug!  And they clash with the paint in my room....  So do I get my $22 in cash or do you put it back on my card..... like????"

Worst of all our buddy Jen was with her and witnessed the whole thing.  I said that she should have tackled Katelyn, took the bag and explained.... "Now sweetie y'all know you aren't allowed to spend money when you haven't been taking your medication..... $22 worth of candy at the Bulk Barn.... off her meds obviously!!!"   Then add..... "We have been trying to let her make her own decisions.... obviously it is still a bit too soon!"

Sadly, none of that happened and no one rescued her.

PS.  Katelyn.... "$22 is 4 trips to Starbucks!"...... or it is like 15 trips to "Tim Horton's" and you don't have to talk in a ridiculous second language to order there.  Just saying!  :)

1 comment:

Lenny said...

That is great. Reading through it at the start I was trying to decide if she actually wrote it (her experience) or if she was just re-posting something that was written by someone like Bruce Cameron. Really well written with stuff like:

Here’s the thing about buying in bulk
I was tempted to tell her that was my plan and hide the fact that I was going to gorge myself on m&ms but instead I took the moral high ground

And the best two:

If I was going to stand by my m&m addiction at least I could make it look like I was an upstanding citizen.
Time seemed to stand still for a moment as the cashier turned and looked at me expectantly waiting for me to choose my payment method. My university student on a fixed income brain kicked into overdrive!

Gold pure gold J Very Seinfeldish
Tell her to stop wasting money on dumb University classes and instead concentrate on doing something dumb like this every day so she can write about it. Way better then most of the humorous commentaries that are out there and people are getting paid to write them !