Don't you hate it when people actually listen and take what you say seriously?
Last month I was teaching about "Living what we believe" - basically the idea that talk is cheap. I was in Genesis 1-3 and read how God made the first man.
I then asked, "Why - if we really believe that life comes from God and that we are more than just the result of a series of fortunate accidents - aren't any of us in this church more involved in things like 'Pro-life'?" I went on and on about us having lots of the right answers - but maybe not so much the right actions to back them up.
As I was going along - I suddenly remembered that I had been asked to MC the Pro-life supper in town...... and I was dragging my feet as to the answer. There was part of me that wanted to help out, part of me that wanted to support the people who work hard at presenting a very positive Pro-life message (I am not sure what your local group is like but ours is low emotional, heart-string appeal and ver much high on positive and encouraging messages - which to me is good), but part of me just wanted to be left alone.
I admitted to the church that I too was really good at talking and not so good at doing - and so I am MCing the Pro-life supper tomorrow night.
To be honest with you, I am still not 100% excited about it yet. I could be doing 34897689376893 things (most of which would really account for nothing). I could avoid the stress of meeting new people and the challenge of a new situation. I am not even sure that I agree with all that Pro-life stands for (so part of tomorrow night is a fact finding mission too).
But more and more I am trying to get out of the church building. I am trying to focus on what I can do to help, rather than just stand around and criticize what is or is not being done. There are tons of good people trying to do good things in our communities. They could use some help and some encouragement and I will likely benefit by being with them.
I will let you know how tomorrow night goes.
PS. Speaking of Good People - our German friends came in to visit tonight and they brought their very last chocolate bar to me. As I said, the world is full of Good people (but I am not sharing!) :)
2 comments:
Wow - great thoughts Tim!
Preach on brother! (said with a strong African American accent)
Jenn
Post a Comment